Friday, May 8, 2009

Ceiling Wiring and Skinning

In the five days since the last update, I've pulled the ceiling wiring for the lights and fan down to the electrical raceway and finished skinning the exterior, besides the hatch, which is a separate unit. More on that later.

As part of the ceiling wiring potion, I'd decided to add small frames in the ceiling around the light mounts in order to create a buffer from the EPS insulation and also give the light mounting screws something more to bite into than the 5.2mm plywood. Here's a few shots of that effort.








The photo below shows the first section of the outside skin being attached. The outside skin ended up being constructed of 5.2mm red oak plywood. 5.2mm is just shy of a 1/4".





The next section endures the most severe radius, so extra work with braces and cargo straps was necessary to keep things in place and assist with bending - especially when you do this by yourself.








Viewing from the galley end of the teardrop, we see the conduit installed that routes the ceiling wiring down to the electrical raceway, passing through the upper galley cabinet area.





It's made of a 3/4" radius PVC conduit with some fixtures on the ends to hold it in place nicely. With that in order, I could then skin the remainder of the roof, and the next two photos show the results.








These photos are from before the edges of the outside skin were trimmed down flush to the walls and galley horizontal spars. That's been done since.

As promised, I was going to discuss the hatch. That portion officially began a couple weeks ago when I cut the curved ribs, and today began the actual assembly. The outer frame is complete along with two internal ribs, but I don't have any photos on hand. I usually grab photos with my phone while I'm working and pull them down to my laptop via Bluetooth, but I just didn't get around to clicking any earlier this evening. I'll post them up next time along with any other progress.

[g]

No comments: