Saturday, March 17, 2018

Cabin Door Trimming

Ah yes, the cabin door struggle. They begin as just cutouts from the side walls of the teardrop, but there's much more to it than that. I estimate that you need about 1/2" space around the perimeter when they're sitting in the wall. You need to account for trim and some weatherstrip.

I've already trimmed the side doors down, as you would see in a previous post. Today, I mocked up the aluminum trim on one door and really needed another 1/8" trimmed off the two straight sides.



Above, you see the door resting in place with the trim mocked up. I used a belt sander for the trimming, but I might've used a saw if I'd known I needed to lop off this much. It's OK, I'm almost done with the second door's sanding.

After that, I'll pop off the aluminum trim, tidy up the window areas, do some finishing sanding and apply EPS to the entirety of the doors. Ok, maybe this won't all happen this weekend.

-g

No comments: