Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Tongue box and body paint

That sounds a little dirty. Such is life when teardrop building. My last update was more than a month, let's catch up. I began building the custom tongue box for the front end. I also finally began painting the exterior.


 Tongue box main frame, 3/4" plywood


Bottom of utility tongue box 


Side panels installed, 1/4" plywood for weight 


Utility box mocked up on frame


Black Rustoleum in matte for the utility box


And then begins the paint. I went with red polyurethane paint to loosely match my Tacoma. The specific make is Interlux Brightside marine paint in Fire Red, available here and elsewhere. Check the photos below for the first coat.


Topside, Tara observes the first finish 


The hatch door gets the roller 


Front of the teardrop, hatch and one door first coat


This paint went on nicely with a roller. It should provide great resistance to environmental elements, but it's not cheap. My source had it for $36.95 for a quart. I just ordered a second quart, as I've nearly finished the first quart on the front and top skin and the hatch and door you see above. I think I'll do fine with two coats, after sanding with 320 grit on the first coat.

The next round of activity will be just that, along with installing the roof vent/fan, painting the sides of the body and so on.

No comments: