Thursday, May 11, 2017

Fan Club

I received the vent fan yesterday. It's a Fan-Tastic model 1200 12v DC unit. The box was fairly dinged up, but the contents were just fine. My first impression was that this was of much better quality than my previous fan. Here I have it placed on the roof.


The body is molded in plastic, which I feel is an improvement over the white-painted metal of the prior fan. The paint began to chip and peel over time on that unit. Below I have a photo from the interior. The fan included an interior molding piece, which will clean up the look when finally installed.


Back on the workbench, we can take a closer look at the underside. There is a 3-speed control knob, a fuse slot and the dome lift knob. It lifts easily and smoothly.


The first thing I noticed with the fan was that its diameter was nearly the size of the entire unit. It's quite a bit larger than my last fan. The next thing I noticed was how much more air this fan pushes, and how quiet it is while it does that. I took a quick video of the fan's operation, embedded below.


Like I've said in the video, the lowest fan setting provided great airflow, certainly appropriate for the Teardrop cabin. I actually think the two higher settings would make it downright windy inside the cabin.Those may be handy to blow out moisture perhaps or obtain some sort of atmospheric liftoff.

Maybe that's a stretch.

-g

2 comments:

NightHawk59 said...

Hmm, if you were to leave it on the high setting while towing the teardrop, wouldn't it afford you better gas mileage? Nah..it wouldn't!

Damien_Grief said...

Perhaps if I amped up the power a whole bunch... it might work!