Saturday, February 3, 2018

Galley Face and Doors

Progress this week, not bad. To tail from my last post, I started finishing the upper galley face and then moved on to the doors until I gather more materials and a plan for the sliding doors for the cabinet face.



Above, we see the backside of the upper galley face. We see the brackets that will sit against the backsides of the galley sides.



It's in place here. I used glue and stainless hardware. I now need to devise a way to have two sliding doors for this area. I didn't like a prior solution that I'd used for this. In the meantime, I've moved onto the doors, which were still in their rough forms of simply being cut from the walls.



First, I set out to trim an eighth of an inch from both of the flat sides. Above, I have set up a guide board for this purpose and took a belt sander to the edges. One door down so far, and then I began fitting the windows.



These particular windows take a bit of rough work to fit into the cutout due to screw heads and oddball metal extrusions. Get out the file, mini hacksaw and whatever else you can find to remove material until they fit. There's a flange on the outside of the window, which will hide some overzealous hacking, but take more care on the inside surface. It's nothing some additional trim wouldn't cover, however.



Here is one door above trimmed and with the window set in place. Both doors are set for windows at this point. I still need to trim the flat edges down on this, however. I quit for the day, after spending hours in the garage that I could only get up to 48 degrees with the propane heater. I will say, it's drafty enough in the garage to not pass out from carbon monoxide!

Which leads me to another point: I'm waiting on the window install until EPS (and polyurethane on the inside) until the temps go up a bit and I can keep the doors open for ventilation and also make sure the epoxy resin will set properly. It's still early February, so I'll keep finding other tasks to tackle until then.

-g

No comments: